How to avoid a Holiday Eating Meltdown
It seems like every holiday or special occasion is the perfect time to splurge with your diet. With Memorial Day here, many of you will be grilling out and enjoying a day of fun with the family. YouÂ work hard in the gym and watch what youÂ eatÂ most of the time, so why not blow it out with your friends and family?
Here are some of myÂ food tips for avoiding a dietary breakdown while still enjoying yourself:
- If you are grilling burgers, use leaner meat instead of the fatty cuts. Use 96/4 or 93/7 ground beef instead of 85/15. Veggie burgers are great too! Use light orÂ non-fat cheese for cheesburgers.
- If you must have hot dogs (I haven’t eaten a hot dog since I was a little boy!) use Kosher hot dogs as they only use parts from the animals waist up. You also have the option of using turkey or veggieÂ dogs. And avoid cured, fatty meats like sausage.
- Try grilled chicken kabobs with fresh veggies
- Use whole grain hamburger buns instead of regular white.
- Use baked chips instead of regular.
- Avoid high fat condiments and sides such as potato salad, macaroni salad, and high fat dips (unless you have low fat, healthy recipes.
- Eat salad if it is available. Go for the low fat dressing and keep it on the side for dipping!
- Limit your alcohol consumption to no more than 2 drinks (if possible!)Â and drink lots of water.
- If you are attending a holiday function, ask the host if they will be offering any healthy alternatives to traditional fare. If not, politely ask if they mind if you bring something to add to the grill as you are trying to eat healthy.
And finally, here are three very important mental tips to avoid the sameÂ dietaryÂ breakdown:
- DO NOT OVEREAT!! Treat holidays and special events the same way youÂ would any other day. Don’t overeat just because the food is there. Take several small samples of foods that you enjoy and eat slowly. You do not want to stuff yourself because you will certainly regret it the next day.
- HAVE A PLAN! Athletes have a game plan going into a game. Business people have a plan going into the boardroom.Go to functions with a plan (guidelines)Â for what you will eat (and what you definitely won’t!), how much you will eat, and how much you will drink.Â If you don’t have a pre-game plan, you are likely to fall apart.
- EAT WITH THE IMAGE OF HOW YOU WANT TO LOOK! If you think healthy, you will eat healthy. No mindless eating. Know every food (or drink)Â you put into your body.
Follow these simple rules and you will feel fantastic the next day, mentally and physically!